Vacancy | foodFIRST Programme Officer
FoodFIRST is currently seeking a full-time programme officer (0.8 to 1 fte) for its office in The Hague. In this role, you will be responsible for carrying out all foodFIRST activities, such as organising expert meetings and public events, building networks, and establishing a strong social media presence.
FoodFIRST is a multi-year programme of the think tank Socires in the Hague. The objective of the foodFIRST programme is to enhance the capacity of its stakeholders to assess the impact of policies and sectoral developments on African agriculture and food systems, particularly the position of smallholder farmers. As an independent convenor, foodFIRST organises discussion and dialogue sessions, the so-called ‘Vijverberg’ sessions, which disseminate expert information, stimulate out-of-the-box thinking, and promote innovative collaboration among our coalition partners. These coalition partners represent various sectors, including the Ministries of Agriculture and Foreign Affairs, non-governmental organizations, the private sector, and knowledge institutions.
If you are interested in learning more about foodFIRST and its previous sessions and activities, please visit their website www.foodfirst.eu
Key duties and responsibilities
As a programme officer, you will primarily be tasked with:
- Monitoring international developments in the fields of global food supply, hunger, follow-up of the Food Systems Summit, Sustainable Development Goals, agriculture, and the food sector, as well as the institutions working on these topics;
- Planning, organising, and executing events, particularly the ‘Vijverberg’ sessions;
- Evaluating the relevance of policy and scientific research to programme development (literature analysis, paper writing, seminar attendance, etc.);
- Maintaining external relationships with government agencies, non-governmental organisations, the private sector, knowledge institutions, and subsidy providers;
- Contributing to the writing of the ‘Vijverberg’ session reports and annual reports, as well as assisting with funding applications;
- Disseminating substantive findings through social media and other channels;
- Promoting external communication by enhancing the website and utilising social media more effectively, etc.;
- Taking the initiative for the programme's continued development.
The candidate is expected to demonstrate the following:
- A Master's degree in a field of study pertinent to foodFIRST (international relations, food security, agriculture, development studies, African studies, etc.);
- Knowledge in the field of international cooperation, global food supply and hunger, agriculture and nutrition, Sustainable Development Goals, and Africa;
- Relevant work experience is an advantage;
- Affinity with conducting policy and literature research and translating this research into action perspectives;
- Excellent oral and written skills (Dutch and English);
- Ability to translate voluminous amounts of information into concise, comprehensible texts;
- Interested in social, political and policy issues;
- (Demonstrable) experience in organising events;
- Able to independently make cross-connections with other themes, such as climate, conflict and stability and other topics;
- Establish and maintain contact with coworkers and external organisations with relative ease;
- Skilled in developing a targeted social media profile and growing its network;
- An inquisitive, creative, independent and hands-on mentality
What they offer
The new employee will work in a dynamic and inspiring team that allows for flexible planning. Socires provides ample opportunities for professional growth for its younger employees and access to (inter)national networks. The employment contract is signed for a period of 12 months, with the possibility of extension and attractive employment conditions. Date of commencement of employment to be agreed as soon as possible.
To apply for this position, foodFIRST would like to receive your cover letter and resume by Friday, 16 December 2022 at the latest to foodFIRST@socires.nl. For questions about this position, please send an email to the programme director, Ewald Wermuth (firstname.lastname@example.org).