Conference 2022 | Space for Food Security: On the Right Track
The G4AW conference, organised in collaboration with Rabo Foundation, invites you to join their conference ‘Space for Food Security: On the Right Track’ to reflect on the lessons learned and to explore future trends in Space for Food Security and Inclusive Finance.
- 03 Oct - 06 Oct 2022
- Geodata for Agriculture and Water | Rabo Foundation
- More information
Geodata for Agriculture and Water Conference 2022
As a consequence of climate change, the food producers of our planet face the extraordinary challenge of feeding 9 billion people by the year 2050. Innovative solutions can help to improve this situation by empowering the most important actors in the food production chain: smallholder farmers. Providing the right information at the right time to food producers can help to improve and increase food production in a sustainable manner thus ensuring food security on a global scale.
Over the past 8 years the Geodata for Agriculture and Water (G4AW) programme provided 25 public private partnerships in 15 countries support to develop satellite-based information services for smallholder food producers.
During the conference, a series of keynote speeches, panel discussions, break-out sessions and networking opportunities will bring together stakeholders from all over the world to address the following questions, amongst others:
- How can space technology, geodata, and digital technologies help improve smallholder livelihoods by more sustainable agriculture practices and improved access to finance?
- How business models look like from a (start-up) company and financier perspective? How to balance impact versus profits?
- How to move forward and scale digital advisory services once a market has been established?
- What does the future of agricultural digitalisation and inclusive finance look like?
Date: 3-6 October 2022
3 Oct. Space for Food Security: On the Right Track
4 Oct. Geodata for Agriculture and Water (G4AW): the Lessons Learned
5 Oct. Matchmaking between start-ups and investors
6 Oct. Space for Inclusive Finance in collaboration with Rabo Foundation
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
- Inform and inspire by reflecting on and exploring trends in digital advisory services for smallholder food producers
- Exchange lessons learned and knowledge from the G4AW and other programmes
- Facilitate matchmaking and networking
- Stimulate new investments and partnerships
- Service providers
- Start-ups in institutes in agriculture, fin-tech, space applications
- Research institutes
- Financial institutions (national and international)
- NGOs, government institutions and practitioners
- Impact- investors
- Policy makers
Thematic Side Event | From Satellite to Soil Health
What can space technology tell us about the health of Earth’s soils? In this session, the Netherlands Space Office ‘Geodata for Agriculture and Water’ team and Netherlands Food Partnership and their expert partners shed light on the use of digital services for soils (think of soil maps and satellite data) and how this can be improved. The session will highlight best practices and showcase how current soils data systems work. The speakers and audience will collectively identify main obstacles to using data and digital services to advance soil health and interactively come up with practical interventions to overcome these obstacles - with a focus on how to stimulate more locally led initiatives and inclusive business models.
To learn more and to bring in ideas on how to advance soil health through data and digital services, join us in Utrecht on October 4, from 13:30 - 15:00.