Update on Preparations for COP27
This article provides a brief update and a few announcements of relevance for Dutch organisations, companies and their international partners. It will concentrate on aspects directly related to the preparatory activities and Summit activities of Dutch stakeholders.
The UN Climate Summit (COP27) and its relation to food systems, sustainable agriculture, nature and forests
The international community will meet to discuss progress on its ambitions to tackle climate change during the 27th Conference of the Parties of the UNFCCC (COP27) in Sharm-el-Sheikh, Egypt, from 6 to 18 November 2022. During the conference, food systems, sustainable agriculture, nature and forests will be higher on the agenda than ever before.
NFP Briefing | COP27 Climate-Food-Nature Agenda
An online briefing held on 1 November for the Dutch network, organised by NFP and the Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The focus of this briefing session was on the topics of food systems, sustainable agriculture, nature and forests in relation to COP27. The Dutch Climate Envoy as well as Dutch delegation members from the Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs shared their insights and expectations. Clim-Eat shared the latest news about the Food Systems Pavilion. Network members from the private sector, civil society and academia joined and contributed.
Food Systems Pavilion
The Food Systems Pavilion will feature 11 days of programming – including 10 Thematic Days highlighting the critical role that transforming food systems must play in climate mitigation, adaptation and building resilience.
Several Dutch organisations and companies will be actively involved in the Food Systems Pavilion, together with a range of international partners. Clim-Eat the 'think and do' tank hosted by NFP and enabled by Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality, is among the lead organisations facilitating and hosting the Food Systems Pavilion.
Additional examples of sessions with various contributions from the Dutch network
Increasing sustainable investment and finance will be the central topic of the Food Systems Pavilion programme on 9 November, a day for which both SNV and Rabobank are cohosts.
11 November 2022 Boosting soil health through nature-positive production
The Coalition of Action for Soil Health and their partners will host several events, presented in this overview. Day 5 of the Food Systems Pavilion will put soil’s indispensable contributions towards achieving equitable food security and thriving environments centre-stage.
11 November 2022 - COP27 Climate Agreement on Food and Farming
The True Animal Protein Price Coalition collaborates with the Carbon Pricing Food Coalition on a COP27 Climate Agreement on Food and Farming with the aim to reduce food and farm related GHG-emissions 30% by 2030 for Sustainable Development. A specific side event for signatories will be held on 11 November with FAO, TAPP Coalition and others. More information here
12 November 2022 The contribution of dairy to resilient food systems in East Africa
The Netherlands East Africa Dairy Partnership (NEADAP), which is a coalition enabled by NFP and SNV, is currently developing a position paper on the role of dairy in food systems. It will be presented and discussed during a specific session co hosted by NEADAP, International Livestock Research Institute, Rwanda National Dairy Platform and WUR.
12 November 2022 Planting the seeds for a climate-smart future:
New business models and opportunities to scale solutions for a climate-smart future. High level session with the delegations of the Netherlands and Germany, FARA, DSM and NFP.
17 November 2022 The Cool Move
A low carbon cold chain & agro-logistic accelerator program for Africa, at the intersection of food & energy, will be the topic of this event on 17 November. It will focus on promoting the development of cold chain solutions (both accessibility and utilisation) in rural areas, based on bankable and scalable business models, via appropriate financial solutions and backed by market linkages and data. With the Ministry of Environment, Rwanda and Rabobank.
Relevant links to overviews of food-related sessions
- Letter to parliament on COP27 - The expectations of the Dutch government for COP27 have been presented in a letter to parliament, which includes a specific section on food systems, agriculture and nature. (in Dutch)
- International Climate Strategy of The Netherlands - Policy paper of Dutch government, including strategies for mitigation, adaptation and finance, as well as implementing instruments. The paper includes the ambitions regarding agriculture, land use and food systems. (in Dutch)
- Solving the great food puzzle - WWF report ‘Solving the great food puzzle. Translating global goals into national level action’.
- Young media makers at COP27 - RNW Media implements a project that will bring up to 10 young media makers from the MENA region to the COP27 to create a buzz about MENA youth engagement in climate action.
- Green Finance for SMEs Initiative - Tropenbos is currently working on an initiative to increase access to finance for sustainable forestry and agroforestry businesses. The financial support unit entitled Green Finance for SMEs (GFS) is enabled by Dutch Postcode Lottery.
Netherlands Food Partnershipnmetz@nlfoodpartnership.com