Dutch stakeholders meeting in preparation of the UN Food Systems Summit
In September 2021, the UN Food Systems Summit will take place as part of the Decade of Action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030. The Summit will launch bold new actions to deliver progress on all 17 SDGs, each of which relies to some degree on healthier, more sustainable and equitable food systems. The Summit will awaken the world to the fact that we all must work together to transform the way the world produces, consumes and thinks about food.
Netherlands Food Partnership hosted an information meeting on 2 March, with 80 participants from Dutch organisations active in the area of Food & Nutrition Security in low- and middle-income countries. In the meeting, they shared information about their preparations for the Food Systems Summit and explored options for further collaboration.
Adam Gerstenmier, chief of staff for UN FSS joined us and opened the meeting with an inspirational update about the summit and related activities this year.
A short preparatory survey by Netherlands Food Partnership showed that Dutch stakeholders, present at this meeting, are active in all five Action Tracks of the Summit. The level of involvement and the type of involvement in Summit preparations varies a lot between the participating organisations.
The Dutch Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality presented their preparations for the Summit. They will host National Food Systems Dialogues in the period May-July, of which they will bring the outcomes to the UN presummit in July. The Ministries’ priorities include:
- the science-policy interface,
- the inclusiveness of the summit and the buy-in of low and middle income countries,
- a clear action agenda as the outcome of the summit.
Representatives of Rabobank and GAIN Netherlands shared their preparatory steps and called upon others to also engage.
Next information and networking meeting
- 29 March 2021 Netherlands Food Partnership hosts a meeting for stakeholders with particular interest in food and nutrition security in LMICs.
- If your organisation is interested to participate, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: 'Contact me about participation next FSS meeting' and we will get in touch
Netherlands Food Partnershipnmetz@nlfoodpartnership.com